I stopped by the farmers market yesterday and couldn’t resist picking up some baby potatoes — two bags of them! My plan was to cut them up and roast them, but then I remembered a recipe I love to make when these baby potatoes are in season: smashed potatoes.
These golden nuggets look like little potato pancakes and can be served alongside your favorite tofu scramble for breakfast, as an appetizer for dipping into guacamole or as a side to peaches and cream corn on a hot summer night!
Smashed Baby Potatoes
15 baby potatoes
2 to 4 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary or thyme (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 450 F.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until potatoes are tender. Remove the potatoes and drain. Allow to steam dry for 5 minutes.
3. Oil the bottom of the baking sheet. Evenly spread the potatoes on the baking sheet. Take a glass or measuring cup, place it on top of the potato and press down until the potato flattens into a pancake, about 1/4- to 1/2-thick.
4. Brush the top of each potato with olive oil. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with a good pinch of salt and pepper and sprinkle with fresh rosemary or thyme.
- You can do this recipe with any potato; the key to it is making sure they are fully cooked so that they flatten easily and that they’re coated with a thin layer of oil to help them crisp up.
- Try adding some flavor to the oil using garlic, smoked paprika or a mix of cumin and coriander seed.
(Kary Osmond is a Canadian recipe developer and former television host of the popular daytime cooking show “Best Recipes Ever.” Her easy recipes include helpful tips to guide you along the way, and her love of plant-based cooking offers healthy alternatives to some of your favorite dishes. Learn more at karyosmond.com.)