Breakfast for supper is a favorite in our house.
Most of the time it's along the usual lines of morning fare — grits, eggs, toast, maybe pancakes or cereal.
But these Blueberry French Toast Sandwiches certainly kick things up a notch, and would be delightful for breakfast, brunch or dinner.
It's your basic French toast with a yummy spread of blueberry sandwiched between two slices.
Now who's going to say no to that, no matter what time of day it is?
Blueberry French Toast Sandwiches
Makes 4 servings.
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon water
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 8 slices bread
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Powdered sugar
- 4 orange twists
1. Combine blueberries, maple syrup and orange peel in small saucepan. Dissolve cornstarch in water; add to blueberry mixture. Cook and stir until mixture boils; reduce heat and simmer 1 minute or until mixture thickens.
2. Combine eggs, milk, vanilla and nutmeg; mix well.
3. Dip each slice of bread into egg mixture. Cook each slice in small amount of butter in skillet or on griddle about 2 minutes or until golden brown on each side.
4. Place one slice on each individual plate, spread with 3 tablespoons blueberry mixture, top with second slice and 1 tablespoon blueberry mixture.
5. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and garnish with more blueberries and orange twists.